Apple provides Optimized Storage feature that free up storage space in macOS Sierra by storing your content in cloud and makes it easily available when needed.
When storage space is required, the files, photos, movies and email attachments that you rarely use get stored in cloud automatically and stays right where you last saved it. Files get downloaded whenever you open it.
1. First, go to Apple menu in top-left of screen, and click About This Mac.
2. A new window will appear. Now, select Storage tab which shows overview of your free space and used space, and click Manage…
3. Four options namely Store in iCloud, Optimize Storage, Empty Trash Automatically and Reduce Clutter will appear in the Recommendations window.
Apple provides you 5 GB of free iCloud storage and you have to pay if you want extra storage.
You can save files from Desktop and Documents in iCloud Drive and also the photos and videos in iCloud Photo Library in order to free up storage space in macOS Sierra.
Turn On Desktop and Documents:
1. To turn on Desktop and Documents to use with iCloud Drive, go to Apple menu > System Preferences > iCloud.
2. Make sure iCloud Drive is turned on.
3. Next to iCloud Drive, click Options.
4. Now, select Desktop & Documents Folders.
5. Click Done.
To turn off Desktop and Documents, repeat the above 3 steps, then deselect Desktop & Documents Folders and click Done.
Turn on iCloud Photo Library:
1. Go to System Preferences > iCloud.
2. Click Options next to Photos, then select iCloud Photo Library.
To turn off library uploads, open the Photos app. In the menu bar, click Photos > Preferences and click the iCloud tab.
The Optimize Storage option automatically removes files for you to free up storage space in macOS Sierra.
Click the Optimize… button and choose from the options.
1. Automatically remove watched iTunes movies and TV shows: When storage space is needed on your Mac, the iTunes movies and TV shows which you have already watched gets deleted.
2. Download only recent attachments: Recently received attachments gets downloaded automatically in Mail and the most recent attachments will be kept on your Mac.
3. Don’t automatically download any email attachments: Attachment will be downloaded when you open the email or attachment to save them on your Mac.
Optimize Storage settings:
1. In iTunes, select iTunes > Preferences, and click Advanced. Now, select Automatically delete watched movies and TV shows.
2. In Mail, select Mail > Preferences, and click Accounts. In the Account Information section, set the Download Attachments pop-up menu to either Recent or None.
To turn off Optimize Storage, go to iTunes > Preferences > Advanced.
Empty Trash Automatically feature free up storage space in macOS Sierra by permanently deleting the files from Trash once 30 days are up.
To get information about the files in Trash, go to Apple menu > About This Mac > Storage > Details and click on Trash in the left column to see the list of files in Trash.
To turn off this feature, go to Finder > Preferences, then click Advanced and uncheck the box for Remove items from the Trash after 30 days.
Reduce Clutter feature helps you to identify large files within your system and the files that are of no longer use to free up storage space in macOS Sierra.
Click Review Files button, and select any of the file categories from sidebar, such as Applications, Documents or Trash.
1. To delete a file permanently, move pointer over the file name and click mark.
2. To delete files from within the app, move pointer to icon. Click and decide which file in the app you want to delete.
Use the above Optimized Storage features to free up storage space in macOS Sierra and save a lot of precious storage space in your Mac.