DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL Stop Error (or error code 0x000000D1) is actually a stop error which windows users recently encounter after the Windows 10 upgrade or the Windows 10 anniversary update.
This error usually comes with a Blue Screen of Death (BSoD), displaying error 0x000000D1, as you can see in the aforementioned picture.
Some might also provide you with the driver file names, indicating the faulty drivers. This causes DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL Stop Error, such as rtwlane.sys (Realtek PCIE Wireless LAN PCI-E NIC driver), athw8x.sys (Atheros Wireless LAN Driver), igdkmd64.sys (Intel Graphics driver) etc.
Table of Contents
- 1 What Causes DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL Stop Error
- 2 Solution to DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL Stop Error in Windows 10
- 2.1 Solution 1: Check the hardware or software
- 2.2 Solution 2: Perform a Virus and Malware Scan
- 2.3 Solution 3: Recover Corrupted Drivers that causes DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL Stop Error in Windows 10
- 2.4 Solution 4: Utilize Command Prompt to Fix DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL Stop Error
- 2.5 Solution 5: Make use of System File Checker
What Causes DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL Stop Error
DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL Stop Error (or error code 0x000000D1) occurs at time when PC fails to identify the driver which has utilized improper address.
There are various causes liable for Windows 10 DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL Stop Error:
- Newly installed hardware or software which causes conflicts.
- Corrupted, outdated or improperly configured drivers.
- Corrupted system files
- Ruined hard disk
- Virus or malware contamination
- Other causes.
The aforementioned reasons, besides from causing DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL Stop Error, also leads to various other severe PC issues such as 100% Disk Usage after Windows 10 Upgrade, slow boot problem, ghost touch screen and etc. Thus it is really important to pay attention towards each one of them.
Solution to DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL Stop Error in Windows 10
Here below, we have shown easy steps onto how to troubleshoot DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL Stop Error (or Error Code 0x000000D1):
Solution 1: Check the hardware or software
In a case if fails to enter Windows 10 after encountering the DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL Stop error blue screen, it is advised here to take a check onto the hardware added or modified recently.
For eg: Clean the accumulated dust out of the RAM slots.
If able to enter the Windows, attempt a Windows 10 clean boot for figuring out the programs which cause the error 0x000000D1. Or you may uninstall the software you have installed recently. This can result in the blue screen.
Solution 2: Perform a Virus and Malware Scan
Virus infection onto the Windows 10 system can lead to DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL Stop Error, rendering the infected files totally inaccessible. Thus its important to perform a scan and remove the threat quickly from the system.
Regarding this, here it is advised to go for SpyHunter.
Solution 3: Recover Corrupted Drivers that causes DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL Stop Error in Windows 10
After performing the basic check, it is extremely important to uninstall and reinstall the driver for Windows 10.
In a case if the blue screen error shows you the .sys file name, find out that particular driver and then reinstall it. However diagnosing the corrupted driver becomes hard at time when screen just shows Error 0x000000D1 with ‘DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL Stop Error’.
Here to diagnose and repair the broken driver, you can use a software which is appropriate for the particular purpose.
Solution 4: Utilize Command Prompt to Fix DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL Stop Error
In this method, you are require to enter the System Recovery Options and utilize the Command Prompt for fixing 0x000000D1 blue screen issue.
Perform the set forth steps:
- Make use of Windows shortcut keys Win + I for opening Settings. Now select Update and Recovery.
- Next, select Recovery from the left column and then tap the button Restart Now from the right column.
- Make selection of Troubleshoot option onto the reboot screen. Now select Advanced options and then choose Command Prompt.
- Lastly login with admin account and then type the command below. After that press
DEL /F /S /Q /A “C:\Windows\System32\drivers\”
Note: Its important for the faulty driver to be the one which you can see on the DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL blue screen, like igdkmd64.sys, rtwlane.sys, usbuhci.sys, etc.
After executing the aforementioned steps, you would for surely be able to enter Windows 10 normally.
After finishing this step, don’t forget to update other drivers.
Solution 5: Make use of System File Checker
System File Checker is a tool in Windows 10 which helps you scan the corrupted files and fix the DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL Stop Error. Here are the steps;
- Make use of Windows shortcut keys Win + X for launching the Jump list. Now select Command Prompt (Admin).
- Next, type SFC / scannow into the dialog box and then press
- If receive “Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them”, perform a system restore to completely fix the DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL Stop Error.
Besides from DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL Stop Error, numerous other severe errors also generates while or after Windows OS upgrade. To know more, click:
So, these were the 5 methods to help you out fix DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL Stop Error or the 0x000000D1 blue screen. Hopefully execution of them have worked for you.
However in a case if still any query persists regarding fixation of DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL Stop Error, kindly feel free to let us know via typing your question in the comment section below.