The boot error 0xc0000098 occurs due to corrupted Boot Configuration Data (BCD). Your Windows OS will not load due to this 0xc0000098 error because the BCD file doesn’t have any entry of it.
Boot error code 0xc0000098 is a blue screen of death (BSOD) error that will lead your computer to restart abruptly and you find yourself stuck as it doesn’t let you boot your computer.
This fatal windows 10 error 0xc0000098 stops your access to the computer and its files. All you can do is rebuild your BCD to resolve this error so that you access your computer normally.
1. Insert Windows 10 bootable installation DVD and restart your PC.
2. When prompted Press any key to boot from CD or DVD, press any key to continue.3. Select the language and click Next. Click Repair your computer in bottom-left corner of screen. 4. On Choose an option window, click on Troubleshoot. 5. On the Troubleshoot window, click on Advanced options. 6. On the Advanced options window, click Automatic Repair. 7. Wait till the Automatic Repair process completes. 8. Restart your computer to fix the Boot error 0xc0000098 Windows 10.
1. Repeat steps 1-5 of Method 1.2. On the Advanced options window, click on Command Prompt. 3. Type the command given below and hit Enter after each one.
bootrec.exe /FixMbr bootrec.exe /FixBoot bootrec.exe /RebuildBcd4. If the above commands didn’t worked, then enter the below commands one by one and hit Enter after each one.
bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup c: cd boot attrib bcd -s -h -r ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old bootrec /RebuildBcd5. Exit Command Prompt and restart your computer.
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealthand press Enter. 3. Wait till the process completes. It takes about 10-20 minutes.
Note: If the above command doesn’t work then try the following: Dism /Image:C:\offline /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:c:\test\mount\windows Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:c:\test\mount\windows /LimitAccess4. Restart your computer.
1. Repeat steps 1-5 of Method 1.2. Now, on Advanced options window, click Command Prompt. 3. Type the command given below and hit enter after each one:
sfc /scannow /offbootdir=c:\ /offwindir=c:\windows chkdsk c: /r
Note: Make sure you use the drive where Windows is installed.
4. Exit command prompt and restart your computer.